Saturday, March 12, 2016

XC Lesson/School

 Klein and one of her new buddies.
She did have her back boots on, but one slipped right before our last round of jumps, so my instructor grabbed them for me.

Klein and I had a xc lesson/school this morning.  Klein was GREAT!  I couldn't have been happier with her!  We had an awesome lesson.  It was a beautiful morning for it too.

We warmed up and got to work.  I was super happy with my riding today.  Every once in a while I'll have one of those little fits where I feel like I let Klein down.  Ever since our last jump lesson the light really came on with committing to my distance and it showed today.  I am extra proud of our teamwork today.

We jumped whatever our instructor pointed us at.  Some of it included some Training stuff and Klein was game for anything like usual.  I was honestly slightly wondering what I would have this morning because we had a conditioning ride last night with some speed work in it and Klein just wanted to FLY.  I don't let her take off when she wants too, but there was speed work in our schedule last night so out of curiosity after I had asked her to behave and hold it in for a 1/4 mile, I let her go.  I checked my GPS when we were done to see just what she had gotten up to...23 mph aka 641 mpm.

We had jumped a ditch in one area of where were were galloping and for some reason it flipped a switch in her.  From that second on she was fire-breathing.  All I could think was, "I really have created a monster."  But I wouldn't trade it for the world. Even with all of her insistent hauling-ass she was recovering quickly.  Her heart rate was coming back under 120 with a quickness.  She sure does bounce right back into shape.  That is due to all the time we spent on conditioning while she was four and five.  She has a great base and studies show once you build a legit fitness base on a young horse it stays with them.  I think that theory has proved true with her.

She was completely fine today as far as speed.  There were a couple times she snuck in picking up the pace, but it was nothing inappropriate for what we were doing.

Things we worked on today was me sitting a little earlier to fences and in tight turns.  I also needed a reminder of when to use and opening rein to make my turns a little better.

I really wished I would have gotten some video from the ground.  Next time (aka next weekend).  I did have my GoPro on though.  Here is the helmet cam from today:


Here are pics of a couple of my favorite things we jumped today:

 

 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. These are awesome and I love the helmet cam video. It looks like you had a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaaaaand now i have an intense desire to go ride cross country!!! awesome helmet cam - you guys look great!

    ReplyDelete