Tuesday, August 7, 2018

The Unbelievable Miss Benburb

My all time favorite photo of her so far, obviously taken by a professional (thank you Sherry).  I think this should be painted.  This photo says so much, but most of all it shows how happy, relaxed, and confident she is in her new life.

Something has really clicked with Ms. B in the past two weeks.  We have hit a streak where every single ride she one ups herself.  She has found a whole new level of balance and it's pretty amazing.  She continues to impress me with every ride.  I just love her.  Not only does she have the looks, but she has the ability, and an incredible mind. 

Hey Horseware, drop me a comment if you'd like to contract her as one of your models!  Seriously though, she is super model status.

She has really started to settle in her canter.  She has discovered smooth canter departs this week from the correct canter cue.  She was really adorable because the ride after that she wanted to break into a canter seamlessly before I asked.  I think she was proud of herself and wanted to show me she totally gets it.  Her trot is always improving and I am really starting to feel some quality balance consistently.  She is also stretching forward and slightly down into the contact at the trot.

Every ride on her lately has moments where I am in disbelief of how nicely she is going.  She is incredibly smart and I think as her strength builds it is even easier for her to pick stuff up.  She totally understands things easily and learns quickly, but I think some of our issues may been a lack of strength.



I continue to take her out places and she continues to impress me with her willingness to go anywhere I ask.  She isn't spooky, she is generally interested in things.  There isn't much that concerns her.  She is also walking in to me as soon as I call for her.  I meet her half way.  Some days she greets me with a nicker.  She is starting to be more cuddly too.  She'll put her head in my hands or chest.  Sometimes she'll put her head under one of my arms.  She was a sad, skittish, robot when I first met her.  As her personality comes out more and more it is just one more thing I love about her.

There it is, the look.  She always has her ears pricked when walking in to me.  This day I didn't see her right away, called her name and she poked her head around the run in and came walking in. 

Pretty mama.

A deer running across the track in front of us while we're at a gallop.  Think Ms. B cared?  Not a care in the world.  She kept on rolling like it wasn't even there.

Her new buddy Ed, a fellow unicorn.  There was a time when she wouldn't want anything to do with another horse coming this close, now she happily says hi.



Hanging out with friends.

Helping others learn too.

Most of you know how this story ends because you have seen it on IG or the blog's Facebook page, but there is a post coming about it too.

2 comments:

  1. It has been a pleasure reading about your growing relationship with her. And you, overcoming your previous notions about all thoroughbreds - well done. I am so happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are having so much fun with her - she is so lucky to have you and you her!!

    ReplyDelete